The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg – Productivity Book Group
Productivity Book Group [ http://productivitybookgroup.org ] discussed The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business [ http://amzn.to/1rbOMCW ] by Charles Duhigg.
In The Power of Habit, Pulitzer Prize–winning business reporter Charles Duhigg takes us to the thrilling edge of scientific discoveries that explain why habits exist and how they can be changed. Distilling vast amounts of information into engrossing narratives that take us from the boardrooms of Procter & Gamble to sidelines of the NFL to the front lines of the civil rights movement, Duhigg presents a whole new understanding of human nature and its potential. At its core, The Power of Habit contains an exhilarating argument: The key to exercising regularly, losing weight, being more productive, and achieving success is understanding how habits work. As Duhigg shows, by harnessing this new science, we can transform our businesses, our communities, and our lives.
Charles Duhigg is a Yale undergrad, Harvard MBA and award-winning staff reporter at The New York Times, where he writes for the business section. Prior to 2006, he was a staff writer of the Los Angeles Times. He lives currently in Brooklyn, NY. Duhigg published The Power of Habit in 2012, and it spent 60 weeks on the NYT bestseller list; that’s quite an achievement and more importantly, it hints at a shift in society’s perception and openness to personal productivity, especially habit formation. It’s this popularity that has brought many of you here onto the call today.
We discussed the Habit Loop, habit formation, keystone habits, and much more in this call. Enjoy the discussion!
- Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength [ http://goo.gl/NhQijd ] by Dr. Roy Baumeister (We discussed an equally engaging read The Willpower Instinct [ http://amzn.to/1KgXp95 ] by Dr. Kelly McGonigal (Part 1 and Part 2) here on ProductivityBookGroup.org, so you may want to give that a listen!)
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband [ http://goo.gl/mS8GYj ]
- The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal [ http://goo.gl/BaP7MR ] by Tony Schwartz and Jim Loehr
- TaskClone [ http://taskclone.com ] – “Automatically send Evernote to-dos to your favorite task app or Google Calendar”
- “Uncover and Manipulate Your Triggers to Optimize Your Work and Life” [ http://lifehacker.com/5909198/uncover-and-manipulate-your-triggers-to-optimize-your-work-and-life ]
- The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work [ http://amzn.to/Z3yxBs ] by Shawn Achor (We discussed The Happiness Advantage here on Productivity Book Group in August 2014.)
- Before Happiness: The 5 Hidden Keys to Achieving Success, Spreading Happiness, and Sustaining Positive Change [ http://goo.gl/gZMpH1 ] by Shawn Achor
- The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness [ http://goo.gl/aoK7n6 ] by Dr. Stephen Covey
(Please listen to understand the context of the resources provided. If we missed something, please comment on the episode and let us know!)
Note: All registered service marks, trademarks and other copyrighted materials mentioned on the podcast are that of their respective owners. This group is not affiliated with or officially endorsed by those copyright owners.