Talent Is Overrated (Chapters 7 to 11) – Productivity Book Group
Productivity Book Group [ http://productivitybookgroup.org ] discussed Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else, Chapters 7 through 11 [ http://amzn.to/1hPHp5Z ] by Geoff Colvin. The author is the Senior Editor at Large of Fortune Magazine, and he proposes a new take on talent and high performers. He proposes that deliberate practice creates world-class performers, not innate talent.
As the book description on Amazon.com notes:
According to distinguished journalist Geoff Colvin, both the hard work and natural talent camps are wrong. What really makes the difference is a highly specific kind of effort-“deliberate practice”-that few of us pursue when we’re practicing golf or piano or stockpicking. Based on scientific research, Talent is Overrated shares the secrets of extraordinary performance and shows how to apply these principles. It features the stories of people who achieved world-class greatness through deliberate practice-including Benjamin Franklin, comedian Chris Rock, football star Jerry Rice, and top CEOs Jeffrey Immelt and Steven Ballmer.
Enjoy the discussion!
Our next call discusses Happy Money: The New Science of Smarter Spending on February 28, 2015 at noon Eastern!
Call-in Information: 1-712-432-3100 PIN: 629891
(Please listen to understand the context of the resources provided. If we missed something, please comment on the episode and let us know!)
- Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School [ http://goo.gl/AwLjPI ] by John Medina
- The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload [ http://goo.gl/FypzYY ] by Daniel J. Levitin
- “Evernote: The Power of the Extended Mind” [ http://www.orderyourlife.net/2014/12/evernote-power-extended-mind/ ] | Order Your Life [ http://orderyourlife.net ]
- Evernote [ http://evernote.com ]
- John Cleese on Creativity [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMpdPrm6Ul4 ]; John Cleese on creativity in business [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6Mqw1aY0cs ]
Note: All registered service marks, trademarks and other copyrighted materials mentioned on the podcast are that of their respective owners. This group is not affiliated with or officially endorsed by those copyright owners.